Saturday, March 1, 2014

Writing isn't linear in multimedia, and that's okay

May your writing always feel as free as the waters of this earth. 
The first thing to intrigue me about this article was its title. Though simple, I felt it not only contributed to the premise of this class, but also to the writing process in general, our experience as young and new writers, and our exposure to the field of multimedia. I think all of us have been exposed to various elements of multimedia, but until now, have not actively written in its style or within the subject matter enough to know what constitutes its writing process. 

I particularly appreciated when Jean Simard, the author, said "writing is not a linear process but the focal point of many other processes. Writing can be facilitated by an environment that is non-linear and rich in connecting together many different abstractions and occurrences." 

This really struck me. I think it's a statement at the forefront of the our changing society and how technology permeates other forms of expression and articulation. The multimedia component is the difference between a traditional history paper and a photoshop project that combines word and text. The process for each is navigated differently. Each serve their own purpose. 

Simard also claims "multimedia environments facilitates learning the writing process." I also specifically identified with this excerpt: "Multimedia environments appeal to many types of learners and potential writers: those who prefer to imagine and picture things, those who need to see things, those who like to hear and say things, and those who learn best by doing things." 

I am an extremely hands-on and visual person, and have learned that multimedia helps me to conquer multiple things at once: visuals, written descriptions of these visuals, etc. Simard rightfully claims multimedia is a process just like others, but that it can still be shaped and guided by the writer. Writing is interactive and ever changing. Multimedia is complicated because it addresses the use of various forms of media to develop its expression of something. 

Writing is also entirely subjective. The only thing anyone could ever do wrong is not try. Simard emphasizes this ideal. Her perspective was extremely refreshing and let me know not to change what I'm doing, but to just continue to open me eyes and mind to new ideas about the discipline of multimedia and how this will impact my writing. 

A link to read the rest of the article. I highly recommend you do:

http://horizon.unc.edu/projects/monograph/CD/Language_Music/Simard.html

2 comments:

Unknown said...

First off, what a beautiful picture! Unrelated: did you see the waves today? They were so huge because of the storm! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tpJTOKWVks&ntz=1

Anyway, your post makes some interesting points. I think I would have to say that taking this class in multimedia definitely changed the way that I think about writing and really broadened my perspective of what I am capable of creating. I wonder what would happen if we were given the option to use multimedia on assignments like history papers and how we would adapt our creative process accordingly. Like would that make us work harder or work less?

The quote from Jean Simard about writing being facilitated by a non-linear environment is interesting and can be widely interpreted. I feel like so many great works of writing have been the channeling of someone's energy who is in a crazy environment. Look at J.K. Rowling who created the whole world of Harry Potter, all the while being a single mom with a chaotic life of poverty and depression. Surely that was not a rosy time in her life, but look what she produced from it: magic! (quite literally =P)

Whitney T. said...

Hi Megan!

I liked your blog post this week and the article that you wrote about. I particularly like the part where you talked about Simard's claim that "multimedia environments appeal to many types of learners" and how multimedia has helped you "conquer multiple things at once." I too feel the same way and I am glad for the hands on experience in working with Photoshop, Audacity, and Prezi instead of just talking about them. I am now aware of more than just words, but sounds and visuals and how they can work together because of these projects. I feel like with this hands-on experience, I could definitely use it outside the classroom as well.