Friday, February 14, 2014

A blessing



First off, I had heard about this study a few years back, before I was in college, and really liked the whole idea. I think my generation is unique for a number of different reasons, one of which being our dependency on media. We all know it is the biggest curse and blessing. I think it's extremely paradoxical how the whole idea is to bring people closer, as it provides a sense of convenient connectivity, and yet, almost nothing achieves isolation better than media. It crushes me when I walk into a room and see every. single. person. on their phone. Breathe. Look up. Engage in a face to face conversation with someone. Nothing will ever measure up to that. We've lost a sense of togetherness at the expense of media. 

Now, I do think why we get carried away is because it's fun. But it's also our generation's obsession with a) posting what we are doing every second of the day and b) wanting to know what everyone else is doing at all times. That also kind of sickens me. But I, again, as always, have mixed feelings. I love seeing how others express themselves in photos, tweets, statuses, the whole nine yards. But I'd argue that stems from my passion for humanity and general and genuinely wishing I knew everyone's story. That topic is for another time.

I've gone days without media before, and truly, I've never had a better time when I do. I wish everyone would just get their faces out of their phone, even if only for an hour, and look at this beautiful planet for all that it is. Go do something spontaneous. It can be anything. I would actually be completely content without having an account on any social media platform. The only two aspects of media I would struggle without is the convenience of being able to talk to my parents through texting and calling, and listening to music. Truly, that's it. In that way, it is a blessing. But it's a curse that I even have these privileges, or that it's even a consideration of mine. I wonder what the style of living was like in previous generations. I almost feel life may have been more pure. What is convenient is not always what is best, and that, friends, is what I learned most recently from going without media for an entire day.

And above all, life is precious. Be wise with your time. Short and sweet, but not so simple. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Megan - I enjoyed reading your perspective on media. I feel the same way. I'm going to write a post in my blog responding/ bouncing off some of your ideas. This inspired some thought!