Friday, January 24, 2014

Text to audio -- where does podcasting come in?

The horizon of this picture symbolized many things to me -- the growth I have felt in this class thus far, the expansion of knowledge, and sincerely how fulfilling that feels. 
Initially, I wanted to see what others were saying about podcasting, so I read an article on UPenn's website about the medium of podcasting and if it will continue to generate money in the years to come with other forms of newly developed technology. What is important to remember, though, is that because of this new technology, a relationship has been formed. This relationship is defined by the accessibility of the content of a podcast on smart phones, iPads, iPods, laptops and essentially any other technologically savvy device. The article, entitled "Podcasting: Can This New Medium Make Money?" states, "Podcasting is also different from traditional media in that the means of production and distribution are readily available to anyone. The technology required to produce podcast content is relatively simple and, unlike the scarce radio broadcast spectrum, the distribution channel -- the Internet -- is available to all." I think in this way, podcasting, beyond just the concern of generating income, can be like any other form of artistic expression and sees the same freedoms as these modes of expression because of its accessibility. 

Audio in some sense brings to life the words in a script, but that also depends largely on the medium through which the audio is being perceived. It also depends on the individual perception of a person -- someone may interpret a message differently if they are more visual versus kinesthetic, or more hands on versus not. Personally, I am visual, but my audacity piece discusses music, which is a medium of audio that affects me on an intensely emotional level. However, I think that is due to the passive act of listening to music; we may not always actively be paying attention to what it is we are listening to, but we know that it impacts us in some form. However, a podcast requires much more attentiveness and extraction of crucial information, even despite the designated subject matter. For example, I was able to preview Whitney's podcast script earlier this week, and while I was thoroughly excited even to read it on the page, I am just as excited, if not more, to hear it recorded, and for the emotional signals indicated in her script to come to life. I know it will take on an entirely different form once I actually hear her enthusiasm for the recipe she is describing, and the passion she feels for sharing that with others. 

Though I have not worked on my own piece much, I found that I am just as thrilled for that process to occur. I have never made a podcast before, and although I have written in many different forms, I have found it to be very difficult even to compose a script that will be very fun to record and thus, listen to. I very much appreciate the slowed process of composition, however. Reading your writing in your head versus out loud makes even a small difference, but recording it for others to listen to adds additional pressure I can't help but feel. Nevertheless, although I have not started recording, familiarizing myself with the workings of audacity, a program entirely new and unique to me, has been thrilling. A feeling I know will increase from here on out as I work on and complete my very first podcast! 

I am beyond enthused to hear all of your projects, because what I have gathered is that all of us are fairly avid podcasters with little to no experience, and I think that makes this process much more exciting because we're all learning something together, yet will all produce something unique to us. Happy podcasting!  



1 comment:

Whitney T. said...

Hi Megan! Thanks for your comments! I too enjoy reading your blog as I find your writing to be professional, thoughtful, and very insightful. I also relate to what you said about feeling additional pressure to record yourself, knowing that others will be listening to it. It's a bit scary, but exciting as well to know that others will hear it and have a chance to think about what you said and take it all in. I also like what you said about how we are all learning the same things and yet each of us will create something different with the same tools. I think it's amazing and beautiful that we can come up with so many different things and topics and ways of producing podcasts that no two would be identical! Good luck with your podcast!